Tuesday, April 3, 2012

My Day Of Kippah Nakedness...

I arrived at work today, only to discover that I had no kippah (skullcap-Yamulka) . Asking around the office, the only "Spare" kippah that was found was a large black "American Haredi" velvet kippah. The feeling was very weird - I was incredibly self conscious to be wearing an item of clothing which associated me as a member of a social-religious group to which I don't belong. This is despite the fact that everyone in the office, was aware that this was not my real kippah.

Even funnier, it was the last day at work of the guy who had lent me the kippah. What this meant was that I had to walk home without a kippah. Its roughly a 20 min walk from my work to home. However in those twenty minutes I just kept bumping into people I knew. And everyone I met seemed to immediately look at my uncovered head and wonder why I was no longer wearing a kippah. Two people openly asked and seemed relieved when I explained. The rest, went home to gossip and wonder quietly. Or perhaps they didn't notice anything and I am only projecting....

No comments: