Thursday, September 8, 2011

Jacob Loved Rachel



18 And Jacob loved Rachel; and he said: 'I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter.'
Following on my last post, I remembered this story from Yeshivah. I suspect that anyone who met Harav Mordechai Breuer knows that he wasn't the nicest of people. He had a habit of being quite mean to his students. However I remember being genuinly surprised when teaching Genesis and reaching the Pasuk And Jacob Loved Rachel - Harav Breuer stopped the lesson, and started telling us how anyone who tries to explain this pasuk is simply missing the point. Love needs no explanation. He then continued to tell stories of rabbis in love for the next hour or so. Sadly enough I stopped summarizing the lesson - a mistake of youth I greatly regret.  
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: